Friday, April 30, 2010

Catcalls...in Spain!?

Spanish men have a notorious stereotype for being really...um, flirtatious. And it's kind of true. I can't really be completely sure because I'm mostly around engineers all day, and that drastically changes the stereotype. But, for the most part, if a guy wants you, you'll know! That being said, catcalls are sort of normal here. And now that I'm wearing sundresses, skirts, and cute, summer-y outfits, they've pretty much multiplied.

Wolf whistles happen a lot. The first time it happened I was confused and was like, "what? Me??" But then I realized I was the only girl around, so yes, it was for me. After that, you just learn to ignore the various types of whistles. Still weird, though. I thought this stuff only happened in movies or cartoons!

Another common word has been "guapa," which translates to "beautiful," "good-looking," or "sexy." The first time I heard that, I almost laughed out loud to myself because it was so amusingly similar to catcalls in English. Like, the most common phrase that uses "guapa" translates to "hey, sexy!"

The weird part is, these are directed at me, and it is SO BIZARRE. I dress pretty conservatively too, so it's like, "what the heck dude, I'm wearing a turtleneck today!!" It sure makes you feel awful sometimes, though. I haven't gotten anything really dirty yet. But still, some of the looks they give you make you just want to go home and take a shower because you could practically SEE their thoughts! Ugh...

Either way, the best way to avoid it is to button your cardigan up all the way and ignore any "anda guapa" 's til you get to school. I can't let it bug me too much because it's just the way things are here! ...And, actually, it's one of the only things I won't miss about Spain.

More to come later about Kruse's and my trip to Toledo! We got gelato and saw fish jumping up a waterfall, so that tells you about how epic it was. Miss you all!

Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment